PO BOX THE EUROVAN

PO BOX THE EUROVAN
Joshua Tree National Park, CA

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dirtbag Beauty Secret: Almond Oil for the Mountains

Benefits of Almond Oil (or, what almond oil does for me):
  • Prevents dry, wind-and-sun chapped skin
  • Reduces red, blotchy skin tone
  • My mom says it will prevent aging
  • It's delicious to cook with too!
MY JOURNEY TO ALMOND OIL
During my senior year of college I took four field-based courses in the mountains, on glaciers, and in the sun. I wore sunscreen sometimes. I remember going out to dinner with a friend partway through the year, after my first stint in the Eastern Sierras, and his comment was: you look older, not as little girl cute as you used too. I filed the comment away in my memory, and left for a course in Alaska, then onto my senior project in Canada, and finally a three-week course in the Sawtooth’s of Idaho.  Reacquainting with my boyfriend after the final course, he also commented on my age.  It wasn’t a caress-my-face-and-comment-on-my-tan moment; it was a holding-hands-and-walking, pause-and-sideways-glance, “Wow, you’ve aged,” change-the-subject-and-keep-walking, moment. 



I called my mom for some advice. She’s the editor of a magazine, and, quite frankly, one of the hottest middle-aged women in northern Michigan. For almost 20-years she wrote from home, raised my sister and me, and managed to emit almost zero sex appeal in her flannel shirts and sweatpants. Then, around the time I left for college, the magazine she wrote for promoted her to editor, and she emerged from the house and into an office having not aged at-all. Honestly. Sometimes friends see photos of her on my computer and ask if she’s my sister. (Despite her young, wrinkle-free face, Mom also claims that as a teenager she coated herself in baby oil to perfect her tan every summer, an act that left many of her contemporaries looking old and wrinkled.)


“Almond oil,” she told me. “Don’t waste your money on expensive lotion. Put some almond oil on your face every night, the kind you cook with.”

So I went to a health food store and looked for almond oil. But I couldn’t find any, so I bought some expensive lotion with almond extract in it. Then I moved to the Eastern Sierras and spent my first winter living out of the Eurovan. I remembered to use the lotion sometimes.

Two years later I finally used up the entire 12 oz bottle of lotion, and bought some almond oil. I use the kind made by the Spectrum cooking-oil company, and per my mom’s suggestion, I slather it on my face every night. So far, my face is noticeably less red, blotchy and chapped—and my fifty-year-old mother, with her wrinkle-free and perfectly clear complexion, continues to assure me it will prevent aging.

SUGGESTED BRANDS OF ALMOND OIL
            Spectrum Almond Oil, 16 oz bottle retails at about $10.59
            Aura Cacia Sweet Almond Oil, 16 oz bottle retails at about
            $17.80

No comments:

Post a Comment